As one of the newest communities in the UK, Somalis often have difficulty accessing mainstream services and navigating complex UK systems. They face a number of challenges, such as:
• Securing work and adequate housing
• Covid-19 challenges, including food poverty and social isolation
• Benefit applications, such as for Universal Credit
• Immigration and asylum issues
• Discrimination and unfair employment practices
• Increasing physical and mental health issues
• Language and cultural communication problems.
In assisting the Somali community, we draw on our own skills and resources and pull in specialist help when needed, so that those we support do not face these challenges alone.
We also represent the Somali community and advocate for their rights within the wider Bristol society, promoting greater integration and cohesion at neighbourhood and citywide level.